Monday 14 May 2012

Memories of Sienna

A few years ago, I was lucky enough to win a recipe competition run by Merchant Gourmet foods. The recipe I submitted was Spiced Lamb with Pastawheat, and the final was a cook-off at the Good Housekeeping Institute.

The prize was a cookery holiday to Tuscany - for one. I was a little nervous about holidaying alone, but we were a small group of people who shared a love of cooking and I had a wonderful time.  Each day was divided into a cookery session and an outing, and one day we went to the historic town of Sienna. I set off to explore by myself,  but it soon started to pour with rain and I dashed into a tiny restaurant where I had a wonderfully reviving lunch of a simple tuna and bean salad with some crusty bread.  Now I think of that holiday every time I make the salad.

It is  wonderfully easy to make. For one main course serving or 2-3 starters, or as part of a selection of antipasti for more, you need

1 small tin tuna, approx 80g (I like Tuna in brine, but tuna in oil would be more  authentic)
1 small tin canellini beans, approx 150g
1 small shallot or  a piece of red onion, very thinly sliced
juice of half a lemon
1 tbs olive oil
seasoning

Simply mix all the ingredients together and serve with crusty bread.



1 comment:

becky3086 said...

This looks really good to me. Phil would hate it because of the beans but I think it would be wonderful. Maybe I will make some for lunch for me sometime.