Friday 11 July 2014

Canellini Bean Hummus

The other day I was furkling around in the fridge looking for things that would make suitable accompaniments to my Spiced Lamb and Broad Beans  and I came across half a tin of cannellini beans left over from Mark's Pork and Beans  and half a lemon because there is ALWAYS half a lemon in the fridge.

So I decided to make them into a hummus.


Ingredients:

½ standard tin (or one small tin) of cannellini beans
juice of ½ lemon
1 tbs tahini paste
a good glug of olive oil - about 2 tbs
salt to taste

Whizz all ingredients together with a stick blender or in a small liquidiser goblet until blended into a paste. As I was serving this as a side dish I kept it thick - to serve  as a dip I would have gradually  blended in a little more olive oil and enough water to get a creamy consistency.

Mine is garnished with a sprinkle of Za'atar but a pinch of paprika and a few sesame seeds would make a great garnish too, or some finely chopped parsley and a slice of lemon.

My other side dishes were tabbouleh  and a watermelon and feta salad



I'm joining in with the July No Waste Food Challenge at Anne's Kitchen and Elizabeth's Kitchen Diary

And #CookBlogShare at Supergoldenbakes


3 comments:

Unknown said...

I keep meaning to make this recipe and then forgetting to buy the beans! It looks completely delicious and would go really well with some tear and share bread.
Thanks for linking to #CookBlogShare – check out the other entries on Pinteresthttp://www.pinterest.com/supergolden88/cookblogshare/
and Google+
https://plus.google.com/u/0/communities/107696809290414888934

Anne said...

Thank you so much for entering this month’s No Waste Food Challenge – your hummus looks delicious, I often have half a tin of beans leftovers so its a great use of them, keep up the great work!

Anne’s Kitchen

Elizabeth said...

I absolutely love hummus but I've never tried it with these beans before. Sounds lovely! Thank you for sharing with the no waste food challenge :)