Thursday 13 November 2014

A Hexagon Box

Today I decided to make a hexagonal box, using papers from a Colorbok pad that's been sitting in my stash for years. I used my Hougie board for the scoring and measuring, following the instructions in "Everyone needs a Hougie book 3"

The measurements I used were taken straight from the book, so I'm not going to infringe the lovely Kay Rutter's copyright by giving them here, but I took a series of photos as I went along.....




The clever "swivel and score" trick  means that even diagonal lines are precisely placed -



Is it just me, or does everybody sing "Never smile at a Crop-a-dile" every time they use it?


Before assembling the box, I lightly sanded all the folded edges to give a distressed look.



It is EXTREMELY important to have the correct equipment to weight down the folded base while the adhesive on the circle (see above) dries........ if you do not possess such equipment, I recommend you purchase some immediately.

 
I cut panels from another sheet taken from the pad, and edged them lightly with Antique Linen distress ink, then attached them to the sides of the box. I finished the panels with die cuts and stickers that came with the pad, and threaded ribbon and yarn through the holes to close the box.






 
The finished box is shown above. I chose to fold it so that the punched flaps poked outwards - if I had chosen to make an "inny" version, the top would have looked like this:
 
 
Phew! Are you still with me? I'll be filling this little box with sweets to give as a Christmas present, but until them I'm sharing it at

Craft Room Challenge - something 3-dimensional
Crafting Musketeers - Not a Card
Unstampabelles - Box it Up
White Lily Green - Homemade Thursday


Homemade Thursday

16 comments:

Wynn said...

What great box Jane. Your tute makes it all look so easy. I love your use of a heavy implement which seems an essential purchase......to be opened after making of course.....don't want a wonky box!!! Thanks for sharing it with us at Unstampabelles. Wynn DT

Samantha A. said...

What a wonderful box! I might have to try it sometime!

Crafty Gals Corner is currently hosting a DT call. If you have a moment, check them out at: http://craftygalscornerchallenges.blogspot.com/ and if you would like a chance to work with the wonderful sponsor’s then link up your favorite project to apply.

-Samantha

WhiteLily said...

Oh my word! This is beautiful! Thank you for linking up to #homemadethursday

Unknown said...

Hi Jane! Love this box! I have a scorer under my desk - had to have it - have never used it (shhh don't tell!) but this has inspired me to perhaps drag it out! The distressing and the embellishments are lovely ~ Thank you for joining us at Craft-Room Challenges for our 3D challenge ~ Christi xoxo

Amber Milone said...

This is simply such a fantastic box! I love how the top folds. Thanks for joining us at the Craft Room!

mags said...

A lovely creation. Thanks for sharing with us at Crafting Musketeers.
Mags
x

Jane said...

Beautiful work. Thanks for sharing it with us at Unstampabelles.

Susan Hogan said...

This is a fabulous little box beautifully decorated. So clever and pretty. The decorations look fab on it. Thanks for sharing this with us at Unstampabelles this month!

Susan Hogan said...

PS love the heavy impliment tool!

Mervi said...

Stunning gift box, so beautiful.
Thank you for sharing at Craft-Room Challenge;-))m

Dale Tiernan said...

I love your box. I like how the wine bottle came in useful. It's terrific to use older stash as well. Makes ya feel good doesn't it?
Thanks for entering it in the Unstampabelles challenge. Woohoo.

Fran said...

Looks fab , thank you for joining us over at the Crafting Musketeers this month , Fran (DT) xx

TRACEY MO said...

Very cool box great ideas & colours. Thanks for joining us at Unstampabelles

Tracey dt

Claire Dale said...

So gorgeous, love everything about it! Thank you for joining us at UnstampaBelles for our latest challenge!
Claire xx
UB DT

raven said...

What a great project..Thank you so much for sharing your creation with us at the Crafting Musketeers challenge. Good Luck.Take care and happy crafting..Genny DT

Shylaashree said...

adorable project. thanks for joining us at Unstampabelles
DT Shylaa
Adhiraacreations