Saturday 3 October 2015

Vintage/Retro at Twofers

Have you visited the challenge blog Twofers yet? We've changed the rules so that now you only need to make ONE item, and we have a prize of a $20 Alleystamp voucher for our fortnightly favourite.

The new challenge has just gone live, and this time the theme is Vintage/Retro - we'd especially like to see something that represents the 20th century, so there are a lot of styles and images to choose from.

I decided to go for a Clarice Cliff look.  Clarice Cliff was an artist and ceramic designer who was extremely popular in the 1930s and 1940s and her work is still very sought-after. I love her ceramics: art deco style pottery decorated with bold crocuses and surreal landscapes in vivid colours.

I stamped the main image using a Woodware stamp set, which I also used for the corners and sentiment. I bought this stamp years ago when I did a lot of glass painting - it looks great stamped and embossed on embossable acetate and coloured in with glass paint. However I found that all my long-neglected glass paints have dried up, so this time I stamped and embossed onto plain white card. I coloured it in with ordinary water based markers instead of Promarkers, as the "brush strokes" that ordinary markers leave reminds me a little of the look of hand painting on ceramics.

I stamped the crocuses by colouring the stamp, again with water based markers, huffing on it then stamping, and then using a water brush to draw out the colour to fill in the spaces.


Why not pop over to Twofers and see what the others on the DT have come up with, then show us your own piece of stamping?

5 comments:

Zoechaos said...

What a great theme you have given us Jane, I missed these Clarice Cliffe Stamps but they are fab. Love your card XOXO Zoe

Christi Conley said...

I have never heard of Clarice Cliffe but this image is beautiful - thanks for the fun theme ~ Christi

Pia S said...

Yes, this IS very Clarice Cliffe like. The image and its colors reminds me of a glass painting, very decorative and beautiful.

Wynn said...

So Clarice Cliffe.......especially the tulips. Great stamping and colouring. I've got to admit I'm hopeless at it. It never looks professional......yours however does. Thank you for the info by the way re the Mice sentiment.....much appreciated. Hugs Wynn x

Barb said...

I love this card Jane. I really like the way you've coloured it. I remember those stamps and don't know why I never dot them.Barbxx