Sunday 21 August 2016

A die cut doiley

I'm never quite sure how to spell doiley. One of my primary school teachers used to insist on it being spelled d'oyley  as in the D'Oyley Carte Opera Company (maybe that's why I grew up into a Gilbert and Sullivan fan)  - but as her choice of wet playtime activity was always folding up pieces of paper and cutting them into d'oyleys I ended up with that spelling thoroughly drummed into me. And my spelling checker is trying to make me change it to doily. My gran's crochet book used to say doyley. Does it have a correct spelling?

Which is a very roundabout way of saying I used a doiley die (I think it is a Marianne one, but it isn't blue so I'm probably wrong) for this card. After cutting it, I masked off the lace area and stamped the centre with a Hampton Arts stamp called Dragonfly Background, which I've had in my collection for about 8 years.

The sentiment on the centre band is an old Hot off The Press stamp - it was in one of the very first QVC kits I ever bought, so I'm guessing it is around 20 years old.

Everything I have used today came from my snippets box, but the purple net band is also repurposed - it is actually a piece of packaging material that was used to wrap some buttons I bought. You can't really tell from the photo, but the dark dots you can see on it are actually gorgeous sparkly purple metallic flecks embedded into the mesh. Far too pretty to throw away! You also can't see the glorious glitter on the butterfly, cut with my old faithful Cuttlebug die. I reckon if we had to cost our kit out on a price per use basis, this would turn out to be the best bargain I've ever had!


I am sharing this with lots of challenges today as I'm a bit short of crafting time at the moment and haven't time to make a separate one for each. But it was quite an interesting exercise to pick out a selection of challenges and then design something to match them all!

Dies R Us - Doily and/or Lace  (see, they agree with my spell checker!)
Mod Squad - The Die's The Thing
Pixie's Snippets Playground (check out the fab new look!) - week 243
Retro Rubber - Sketch  
RRCB 45
 Sparkles Monthly Challenge - Lots of Layers
Cardz for Galz - Butterflies or Dragonflies

23 comments:

Darlene said...

OH WOW ... very, very pretty! Thanks so much for playing in our ‘Doily and/or Lace’ challenge at Dies R Us! Please come back again soon!

Darlene (DRU Blog Leader)
DIES R US CHALLENGE BLOG
DAR’S CRAFTY CREATIONS Please come for a visit.

Jenny L said...

Hi Jane,
what a brilliant card and that doily die cut is so very pretty.
Your design is such a lovely one, and the colour is fab.
I agree with you about spelling of certain things.
My spell checker is contantly in use these days as my memory is not as good as it used to be.
Now I looked it up on the spell checker and it gave you the both ways to spell it.
Thank you so much for joining my blog.
Lots of crafty love. Jenny L.

Di said...

Super card Jane - really pretty! I think doily can be spelled umpteen ways, perhaps 'lace mat' is another option - snigger :)

Hugs

Di xx

Liz said...

Super card, Jane, love the colours. I'm never sure how to spell the lace mat either. Found this on Wikipedia 'A doily (also doiley, doilie, doyly, doyley) is an ornamental mat'. Still confused? 😉 xx

Mrs A. said...

Can't go wrong with a butterfly to go with your doily. Think Di's spelling is a good one. Hugs Mrs A.

Cara said...

Beautiful card, great save on the stunning packaging. Cara x

Maria Rodriguez said...

Hello Jane: Well, what a fabulous save of that beautiful purple mesh and a great way to use it, you card is so beautiful with that lovely and delicate doily die cut.
Thank you for joining us at Retro Rubber this week, hope you come back to play again soon.
Hugs,
Maria Rodriguez.

creative lady said...

Love your take on the sketch. The colors and the added doily is pretty. Thanks for joining Retro Rubber's challenge.

Jane Willis said...

More confused than ever - but at least I can be reassured that my spelling, whichever I used, is right!

Sherri said...

Such a sweet card! LOVE the butterflies stamped on that beautiful doily! Great design! Thanks for joining us for the Dies R Us "Doily and/or Lace" challenge!

crafty-stamper said...

Beautiful card love the doily and sparkly butterfly
carol x

Vicki Dutcher said...

Lovely card -great job with the sketch - Thanks for joining in at Mod Squad!

Debbie Mageed said...

Such a delicate card with beautiful colors! I love the little dragonflies! Thanks for playing along with us at Retro Rubber!

Claire Grantham said...

I love that you made this whole card using your snippets box!! I love to use scraps. Great job with the sketch, I love the stamped doily. Thanks for playing with us at Retro Rubber this week. Claire DT

AO Creations said...

Super cute!!! Thank you for joining us at Cardz 4 Galz, good luck!!! Amy DT

AO Creations said...

Super cute!!! Thank you for joining us at Retro Rubber, good luck!!! Amy DT

KraftyKoolKat said...

So pretty. Thank you so much for sharing your lovely creation with us at Sparkles Monthly Challenges.
Hugs
Cathy DT Member
xxxx

Katy McGloin said...

Very pretty color combination and a sweet take on our Retro Rubber sketch. You definitely have some age built into this card as well as repurposed skills! Wish I could see the mesh strip in person... bet it is gorgeous. Thanks so much for including Retro Rubber in your stamping fun this week. Hope to see you often in our gallery!

Gingin said...

Beautiful card Jane! Love that gorgeous purple doily! Thank you for joining us at Retro Rubber :)

Neva Cole said...

Lovely job with the sketch! I do that sometimes, combine 2 or 3 challenges to get my crafting going! Love the color choices too! Thanks for playing along with us at Retro Rubber.

Christine Traversa said...

Love your color scheme and that doily is genius here! Thanks so much for doing the challenge!! ❤️

Cazro said...

A very pretty card, I love the doiley ( yes that's how I spell it too). Thank you for joining us at Cardz 4 Galz, hope to see you again. Caz DT.

Paddington fan said...

What a pretty card, love your doiley - however you spell it!!! Thank you for joining our 'Lots of Layers' challenge at Sparkles Monthly and I hope you'll visit us again soon, Love Jacky x