Sunday 20 August 2017

A rescue operation

Yesterday I decided to make a card for the Butterfly challenge, which this time is Your Choice/Wedgwood Blue. I don't have any card or paper the right colour at the moment, so I coloured some card with Cosmic Shimmer Colour Cloud blending ink.


I used my very oldest punch on the panel corners and die cut the white central motif using a Creative Expressions die and the butterfly using a Sizzix one. You can't see the butterfly very well on the photo although in real life the dimension makes it show up clearly, so here is a close up.


At that point, the card was finished - then disaster struck! The white die cut is a two part one, a frame and central panel, and I'd been frugal and cut it from the reverse of some card that had failed stamping on the other side. I'd adhered it to the base with wet glue - and all along the border between the two parts of the die cut, the colour started to seep through. I very nearly cried "Abandon ship" - there was too much of it to cover with white pen or pop another butterfly over - then I had a brainwave and covered it all with the narrow pearl braid that I think gives the whole card an opulent look. If you squint carefully you can still see one tiny grey splodge towards the bottom left of the die cut but the rest of the rescue job has worked pretty well. my only regret is that I'd already added silver gems to the butterfly - pearls would look better now!

7 comments:

Pamela said...

This is really pretty Jane - well rescued. That's the sort of thing that would happen to me, usually it's wet glue on BP printed from a Cd.

Barbara Godden said...

Beautiful card, great save those pearls are perfect they finish the elegant look. I always say " there are never mistakes only opportunities to embellish"

Margarets designer cards said...

Beautiful card, and there's me thinking disasters only happen to me, well rescued and good thinking to use the pearls.

Cara said...

Oh goodness, I bet you nearly cried when that happened! Great save and as often happens, the rescue ends up making the card look fabulous. I love it x

Mrs A. said...

A good save. Personally I think the silver gems look great on the butterfly. Pearls to match might have receded the butterfly into the background. Thank you for fluttering into the butterfly garden. Hugs Mrs A.

Liz said...

Beautiful card, Jane, so classy. Great rescue from your mini disaster, the pearls look great. xx

Darnell said...

An ingenious coverup, Jane, which definitely raises your beautiful butterfly card to the status of elegant and opulent! No one minds mixing jewelry nowadays. In my day you NEVER mixed gold and silver ~ horrors! Now who cares? Or is that just us fruits and nuts in California?!! Hugs, Darnell