Monday 28 August 2017

A spot of solitude

One of my favourite areas of Britain, ever since childhood, is the Lake District. As a child we only lived about 80 miles away, and took holidays there twice a year as well as making frequent day trips. Now we live over 300 miles away so I don't get there very often but I still love the area.

Of course being such a popular destination, it can get very crowded, and recent designation as a World Heritage Site is likely to make that even worse, and yet even now the crowds tend to congregate in a few places and it only takes a few minutes by car or on foot to discover spots where perfect solitude among the beautiful landscape can be found.

Skelwith Bridge, at the point where the Ambleside to Coniston road meets the road into the Langdales, is one such area. People flock there to see the waterfall and slate mill, as well as the tea room of course, but a stroll of a few minutes along the River Brathay or up the lane towards Loughrigg Fell soon takes you right away from the tourist crowds to the tranquility and solitude that made the Lake District famous in the first place.

To commemorate this, I have used Gummiapan Stitched Rectangle dies to cut the Skelwith Bridge area from a walking map left over from a recent holiday there, and simply matted it and added a sentiment stamped with a Crafty Individuals stamp.


I am sharing this with Less is More, where the challenge this week is to use something real in my case, the map.

8 comments:

Sazzle Dazzle said...

What an ingenious idea Jane and I can tell you know the area well from your many visits. I live in Kendal so not far at all from the Lake District but you do have to time trips in advance away from peak holiday seasons to see it at it's best and not so crowded. Thanks so much for playing along at Less is More with this beauty and hope you get to visit Skelwith Bridge soon.

Cara said...

A fabulous card with a wonderful story behind it. My parents live just outside Kendal and I lived with them for 5 years when I went back to university in Lancaster, in my 30's. You're so right that there are glorious spots just off the beaten track x

Nonni said...

Wow, such creative thinking and with fantastic, stylish CAS results! Your map really pops from the red base card, it was the perfect choice for you frame. Thanks for joining us at Less Is More!

Liz said...

Fabulous card, Jane, what a clever design. The Lake District is a beautiful part of the UK and we always enjoy staying there. When I saw you'd used part of a map, I had a spooky moment
- another bit of telepathy must have been going on! I made a card at the last week, which I can't post until I know it's been received, but when you see it, you will know what I mean. ;-) xx

Kathyk said...

I really like the use of your map, the dies chosen ROCK too!

Kathyk

Izzy Scrap said...

This is a fabulous and creative card, Jane ! Love your CAS design and your clever take on our challenge ! I don't know this area, but by reading your post, I'm willing to go there some day ! Thanks so much for sharing and for playing along at Less is More !

Neets B said...

What a fabulous way to capture some memories, love this idea. And a lovely CAS layout too.
Thanks so much for sharing with us at Less is More, Anita x

Viv said...

I was born not far from the Lake District and it's been a favourite place of ours for years of course. We visit often! How clever to use a map on your card Jane, such a pretty card too ;) Viv xx Guest Designer 'Less is More'