Monday 18 September 2017

Bird on a branch

While sorting out some papers the other day I came across a pack of mulberry paper that I've had ever since it was fashionable - still unopened! It must be donkeys years old, so I thought I'd get it out and have a play.


I completely covered my card front with a slightly larger piece of mulberry paper then used a damp paintbrush to go around the edges to make the mulberry paper wet, enabling me to easily tear it close to the edge. Once the water had dried, I inked around the edge with distress ink.

The square of newsprint effect paper is stencilled with a woodgrain stencil using DI, then the edges inked with the same ink and distressed with an edging tool.

The sentiment is one from an old sheet of copper embellishments which I seldom use as they seem too bright and shiny for their style and until now my attempts to colour them have failed. However this time I coloured the whole surface with a brown Promarker then left it to dry overnight - success! I sanded the surface lightly to make the letters stand out then attached it with brads to the strip of cream textured card.

Finally I added a die cut sprig of foliage and a vintage bird sticker.

I am sharing this with

House of Cards - Text and/or colours
More Mixed Media - Anything goes/Brown
Little Red Wagon - distress it  
Country View Challenges - Metal

7 comments:

SewPaperPaint said...

What a beautiful card! Well done! Hugs, Autumn

Liz said...

Great card, Jane, the neutral colours are perfect for the design. I've got some mulberry paper too, from at least 10 years ago, when everyone seemed to be using it. How times change! I've also got a stack of 'handmade' paper which seemed to be all the rage years ago too. Time to get it out and have a play, I think! xx

JanR said...

Fab card! Love what you did to the edges. Thanks for joining us at Little Red Wagon.

Cara said...

I love the natural feel to this card, so glad that you managed to use your pro markers to tone down that lovely little embelishment x

Craftyfield said...

Ahh mulberry paper... yes I do have stock too! Good idea to pull it out for this Vintage feel card. I love the metal embellishment too! Thank you for joining us at Country View Challenges this month.

Barb said...

A very beautiful card Jane. The sepia colours are perfect. I've also got some mulberry paper. I really like the way it feathers on the edges. Barbxx

Jane Knudsen said...

Hi Jane! I am never disappointed when I see your name in the gallery! A gorgeous card with a lovely vintage feel! Love the mulberry paper! Beautiful! Thanks for joining us at House of Cards!